Department of Pediatric Endocrinology
At Children’s Hospital Colorado Department of Endocrinology, we provide state-of-the-art diagnosis, treatment and clinical management for children with conditions of the major endocrine glands, such as the pituitary, thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal glands, gonads and endocrine pancreas. Our experienced, multidisciplinary staff is specially trained to work with children and adolescents with a variety of endocrine disorders and complex medical problems.
Why choose us for the treatment of endocrine, metabolism and growth disorders?
In the nation ranked by U.S. News & World Report
Active clinical trials
Annual outpatient visits throughout Colorado and Wyoming
*All numbers above represent combined data for both Children's Colorado and the Barbara Davis Center
Children's Colorado is dedicated to caring for children and adolescents with acute and chronic endocrine disorders. For children who suffer from growth problems or other conditions of the endocrine system, our dedicated team of doctors, nurses and other specialists offer help and hope to these patients and their families.
Leadership and expertise
Throughout the entire diagnosis and treatment process, our endocrinology physicians and staff members are dedicated to providing the most comprehensive care available. As part of this goal, we strive to continually educate ourselves through research endeavors, and educate parents and patients about how we treat conditions and perform procedures. These endeavors help to make the latest advances in pediatric research available to our patients. Additionally, your child's therapy may include the opportunity to participate in research studies.
Our department and individual staff members continue to receive national and regional recognition in the field of endocrinology:
Learn about our endocrinology research
- In 2018, U.S. News & World Report ranked Children’s Colorado’s endocrine and diabetes department as the seventh best pediatric program in the nation.
- Our staff members receive millions of dollars of long-term funding from the National Institute of Health (NIH), Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and American Diabetes Association to advance research in pancreatic function, insulin resistance, liver disorders and other topics in pubescent and obese adolescents.
Programs and services we offer
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Clinic: one of the only comprehensive programs in the nation dedicated to caring for and researching issues related to PCOS in young women
- TRUE Center for Gender Diversity: our comprehensive care center that provides expert care, guidance and support for gender-diverse children, adolescents and young adults
- eXtraordinarY Kids Turner Syndrome Clinic: one of the nation's foremost programs for the treatment of children, adolescents and young adults with Turner syndrome
- 11 total multidisciplinary clinics, including clinics for thyroid cancer, Prader-Willi syndrome, neuro-oncology, osteogenesis imperfecta, type 2 diabetes and ambiguous genitalia
We offer state-of-the-art inpatient and outpatient medical care to children and adolescents with acute and chronic endocrine disease. Our services include:
- Consulting, diagnosis and treatment of endocrine conditions
- Comprehensive laboratory testing
- Medication management
- Access to a variety of multidisciplinary clinics for Klinefelter syndrome, Prader-Willi syndrome, ambiguous genitalia, neuro-oncology, metabolic syndrome and thyroid conditions, among others
- Children’s partners with the Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes, a University of Colorado School of Medicine clinic, to diagnose and treat type I diabetes in children and adolescents. Services offered at the Barbara Davis Center include access to board-certified endocrinologists, 24-hour consultations, counseling, diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up care. The Barbara Davis Center is located adjacent to Children’s Colorado on the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, Colorado.
Specific conditions we treat
Some of the most commonly treated conditions in the Department of Endocrinology include:
Read on to see a full list of the endocrine and growth conditions we treat.
Multiple locations for care
- Our clinics are held at Children's Hospital Colorado's Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, Colorado, as well as at our Network of Care locations in Broomfield, Littleton, Parker and Colorado Springs.
- The Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes is an independent institution that works in partnership with Children's Colorado to diagnose and treat type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents. The Barbara Davis Center is located adjacent to Children's Colorado on Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, Colorado.
Patients are seen by appointment only, with referral from their primary care provider. We endeavor to work with primary care providers and with the families of our patients to ensure the highest quality of care.
Get to know our pediatric experts.
Children's Colorado in the news
U.S. News & World Report
May 16, 2019
A new study in the New England Journal of Medicine suggests that adolescents who undergo gastric bypass surgery have outcomes equal to or better than adults with the same treatment. Dr. Thomas Inge, Director of Adolescent Bariatric Surgery at Children's Colorado, was the lead author on the study.