At the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Services at Children's Hospital Colorado, we provide around-the-clock pathology and clinical laboratory services for our patients, community providers and physicians around the globe.
Our laboratories are staffed with highly skilled pathologists, medical scientists and technical personnel utilizing the most current, reputable technologies.
With state-of-the-art facilities and a large, multidisciplinary team of pathology and laboratory medicine experts, we're able to provide the highest quality of patient care by:
- Providing highly specialized insights on pediatric pathology
- Performing the tests your child needs
- Serving as vital consultants to our physicians for test selection and interpretation
- Offering comprehensive lab and pathology services, ranging from core laboratory testing to esoteric and genetic testing
Laboratory and pathology services at Children's Colorado
At the Children's Hospital Colorado laboratory, we offer laboratory services and testing – ranging from the routine and common to the highly specialized and one-of-a-kind – for children, adults and babies who've yet to be born.
Our lab and pathology services include:
- Specialized diagnostic testing
- Rare genetic disorder detection
- Prenatal genetic testing
- Cancer testing
- Next-generation sequencing for a wide range of genetic disorders
And by working closely with other teams throughout our hospital and clinical laboratory, our medical team aids in the diagnosis of many diseases, including those caused by bacteria. fungi, parasites and infectious diseases.
Our pediatric labs
We believe that quality care should be accessible, which is why we perform kid-friendly tests and provide expert pediatric pathology and laboratory services across the hospital and throughout the state. From our patient rooms to your home town, the answers you need are never out of reach.
Learn more about our state-of-the-art lab facilities at Children's Colorado.
What makes us different?
At our Department of Pathology and Laboratory Services, you'll find care that goes beyond medicine. Every aspect of our laboratory, services and your experience is tailored to kids and their unique physical and emotional needs. That means that everything, from our waiting room and equipment, to the tests and how we delivery their results, is centered around children. Some of the ways we care for kids include:
Patient and family-focused care
- We never ask the parent to leave during the procedure. In fact, we encourage you to hold, hug and comfort your child, which helps a lot.
- We communicate with each child according to their age, while understanding their fears and empathizing with parents.
- Our expertise and compassion builds trust among patients and their families.
- We distract our patients by talking about the different things they enjoy to help relieve some of their anxiety.
- We explain exactly what we are going to do, how long it will take and answer any questions you or your child might have.
Specialized pediatric pathology and laboratory services
At Children's Colorado, our hospital is specially designed for the unique needs of kids. This means our laboratories are staffed with experts in pediatric pathology, and the nurses and phlebotomists who draw your child's blood have extensive training in pediatric phlebotomy.
Because of this specialization:
- Your child gets only the best and most compassionate staff who know how to skillfully draw blood from even the tiniest veins.
- We're experts in testing samples from kids.
- Our tests account for kid-specific variables that affect test results, such as the patient's age and weight.
The results of these tests are accurate, tailored to each patient and offer the insights needed to formulate the proper treatment plan.
Why choose the Children's Hospital Colorado laboratory?
At the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Services, we make the testing process easier on the whole family. We've brought dedicated experts who love to care for kids to our state-of-the-art outpatient, clinical, pathology and genetics laboratory facilities.
Parents choose the Children's Hospital Colorado laboratory because they know our team can get the samples they need, even if their kid is scared of needles. And healthcare professionals send their patients and samples here because they know we have the insights, abilities and equipment these kids need.
Here you'll find:
- Unparalleled expertise
- A welcoming, kid-friendly environment
- Virtually every diagnostic test you or your child might need
- Highly specialized testing capabilities
The diagnostic capabilities you need, all in one place
At the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Services, we're able to get our patients and their parents the answers they need quickly.
We offer great turn-around times, so you're not left wondering or worrying longer than you have to. And, your child is just steps away from over 3,000 pediatric experts who are ready to manage their care and handle whatever the test results show.
Contact the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Services
If you have questions regarding our department's capabilities, tests or how to proceed, browse our list of frequently asked questions or contact our Client Services Call Center.